Friday, March 21, 2008

Yehuda Atlas at Helicon


This week I went to a public lecture of Yehuda Atlas on children literature, hosted by Helicon Society for the Advancement of Poetry in Israel. It was a special evening, since is the first time I went to a cultural event in Israel (which I myself haven't organized) and the first time I met an Israeli poet.

Yehuda Atlas is known for his short poems written from the child's perspective. His lecture was extremely interesting and inspiring, and offered me a new perspective on children's perception of the world, apart from the perspectives already known to me from my previous experience as Hebrew teacher. I had the great honour to share with him my first impressions concerning his lecture.

And since that night I have become an admirer of Mr. Yehuda Atlas' poems.

And the person who, not only literally, opened the door for me to the Israeli poetry is Mr. Amir Or.




I dreamed
I was dead,
But suddenly I knew
This is not true.
Because if indeed
I was dead,
How did I know
That I was dead?

(translated by Parparush)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a real nightmare...
I dreamt
I was a live...