Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sayed Kashua "Dancing Arabs"

In the twelfth grade I understood for the first time what '48 was. That it's called the War of Independence. In twelfth grade I understood that a Zionist was what we called a Sahyuni, and it wasn't a swearword. I knew the word. That's how we used to curse one another. I'd been sure that Sahyuni was a kind of fat guy, like a bear. Suddenly I understood that Zionism is an ideology. In civics lessons and Jewish history classes, I started to understand that my aunt from Tulkarm is called a refugee, that the Arabs in Israel are called a minority. In twelfth grade I understood that the problem was serious. I understood what a national homeland was, what anti-Semitism was. I heard for the first time about "two thousand years of exile" and how the Jews had fought against the Arabs and the British. I didn’t believe it. No way. The English had wanted the Jews here, after all. In Bible class, I discovered that it was Isaac, not Ismael, who'd been replaced with a sheep.

Kashua, Sayed (2004): Dancing Arabs, translated from the Hebrew by Miriam Shlesinger, New York, Grove Press, pg. 117

No comments: