Friday, February 15, 2008

Happy (late) Valentine's Day


So, this is Valentine's Day in Israel - NOTHING SPECIAL! Once again I felt like these people don't celebrate ... take me to the streets and ask me if there is any holiday or celebration, and I would say NO for sure, because I don't see anything special. I can "smell" the Shabbat but I cannot "smell" holidays, Jewish or not it doesn't matter. Well, on Hanukka I did see some palm trees wrapped in lights on Ibn Gvirol Blvd. ... and Dizengoff mall full of decorations. But, hey! this time I missed Dizengoff Mall's decorations on Valentine's Day - if there were any ...

However, BIG THANKS to the Indian restaurant on the corner for the beautiful heart-shaped baloons. If it hadn't been for them, I wouldn't have known it was a holiday. Still, with a single heart there won't be any Valentine's Day ...

I miss the crowded metro exits with hundreds of people selling kitsch stuff for Valentine's Day. I miss hanging around with friends at the Valentine's Day fair. I miss the young women with red roses received from their lovers. I miss happy faces. But I don't miss this day spent without my Valentine!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, just to remind you that there is "HAG HA-HA'AVA" in the Jewish tradition and it takes place at a different date than the Christian Valentine's day...
Israelies celebrate that day on TU BEHAV (on the Hebrew Calendar).
There was no reason to see on Valentine's day anything more special in Israel than you would see on Hag Ha-Ha'ava in any European country...